Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks


Eighteen years ago, I wrote a letter to the editor describing the atrocities turkeys go through in preparation to be slaughtered for Thanksgiving. At my naive 16 years of age, I thought maybe some people would read my words and forgo turkey for a vegetarian Thanksgiving. My letter was printed in the Mesa Tribune that day and I laugh reading it still. I am no longer a vegetarian and will take great pleasure in sitting down to my own protein-packed feast today, but I am still delightfully proud at how passionate I get when I focus on an issue! If I ever become aloof or indifferent, please slap me silly. Who wants to be passionless?

Over the last few years, I guess it could easily be said that I have experienced some life challenges. But, I have never let those struggles and losses cloud the ever-present blessings I have in my life!

Today,

I am thankful for the little things as well as the big things.
Today, I am thankful for:


my home, family, and friends...my stability.

the 33 years I had with my mother.

rainy days and an excuse to wear scarves.

my blogging outlet where I say what I want and hope people care.

my babies, who remind me everyday that their mere existence is reason to smile.

my health, the ability to go out and run 10 miles and feel good.

my Chuck Taylors, they make me feel 14 again.

the cashier at my grocery store that always remembers me and asks about my kids.

Dr. Drew Pinsky...I think I love him...stop laughing...

my say-it-like-it-is sister, don't know how I'd get through anything without her.

diamond stud earrings, not real, but my staple.
my dad, always there to talk and the greatest grandpa on earth.

my ability to find the positive in every disappointment.

and,

my belief in the love story. Someday.

1 comment:

Keri said...

I know I have said this before, but Kaylie reminds me so much of you! The buzz around my house today was the fact that Kaylie actually ate a little turkey (she is leading a semi-vegetarian lifestyle). So funny! I wonder how she will feel in 20 years...