Sunday, January 13, 2008

Are we loving our animals to death?

elle, with the sole surving rat, remi! We wish him good luck!

Please don't call Sheriff Joe! Just two weeks after the loss of Gromit, we have another dead rat. Templeton, our recently purchased and seemingly healthy new pet got sick and died. I have to ask, "Are we loving our pets to death?" I grew up in a family that adored animals. From a young age I considered animals part of the family. My mom had a pet raccoon growing up and my dad had a pet monkey named Fred that he ordered from the back of a magazine and picked up at the airport. Yes, these animals were wild, uncontrollable, probably disease-infested, and had no business living with humans. But, in the great tradition of stupid pet owners, my mom and dad thought, "It will be fun." Well, I blame genetics. I, too, MUST bring animals into my home. After countless aggressive, gravely ill, and painfully ignorant animals that have come in and out of my life, I still can't fight the urge! So, when I read about "the joy a rat could bring" to my life I thought, "Who couldn't use some more joy?" And...I have to say, if they would quit dropping dead on us, we could really love these little guys. They are cute, cuddly, full of personality, and seem to actually love us back. So, here's to Remi...the last lone survivor. May his life be long...at least 6 months.

2 comments:

Brianne Skidmore said...

That's the funniest post I've read in a long time. It's a lucky rat that doesn't find its way into the Stevenson house! (Just kidding, kind of.)
That is a beautiful picture of Elle-belle!

Keri said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear about your rat! Elle looks very cute in the picture and I love how she is such a tomboy! I need to send my girls over to your house!