Tuesday, October 26, 2010

In Recovery

I've been in the cast for 1 week now.

To catch you up on my latest physical impairment, I'll remind you of my injury from last May. After weeks of running on a sore foot, I finally quit my training for Utah Valley, realizing some severe damage had been done and it was only getting worse.

I self-diagnosed myself with a possible stress-fracture or terrible tendonitis.

Surely, taking the summer off from running and wearing a boot would heal my foot (...and hopefully the occasional bike ride and stair climbing wouldn't hurt.)

August came and I was aching to get running again. The Tucson Marathon was in my sights and I was aching to run it.

I got on the treadmill for the first run. It wasn't too bad. I dismissed the slight ache as a figment of my imagination. Denial. Denial. Denial. (Denial got my into this situation in the first place.)

My second run left me in tears. The pain was back. Nothing had healed.

I broke down and went to a doctor. He ordered an MRI.

It came back with some clear answers.

It showed a definite stress fracture in my heal.

A cast was in order!

I was happy and relieved...an answer and a solution.

So, I'm in this cast for the next few weeks.

Laundry is a pain, vacuuming an- exhausting task, and grocery shopping- impossible.

Showering has proved to be a chore not worth the effort. So, I've resorted to baths (not my favorite).

But, all of it worth it in the end.

I am counting down the days until I can lace up my running shoes

and head down the road.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Sara,
First of all I wanted to congratulate you on the wedding. The pictures are beautiful and you all look so happy:)

Sorry to hear about your stress fracture. That just stinks. I had one in my ankle during training for my first marathon. I was stuck in an ugly boot for weeks, but I could take it off to shower:) Hang in there. You will be back to running before you know it!
Brooke