Thursday, January 28, 2010

J.D. Salinger 1919-2010

Today, J.D. Salinger died.

The Catcher In The Rye was a novel that my mom handed me one day and urged me to read.

The coming of age book was a right of passage that, as a teen, I had to experience.

It was the most censored book for more than thirty years- a fact that my mom found abhorrent.

I think I was drawn to The Catcher In The Rye because it's protagonist, Holden Caulfield, was everything I wasn't- an angst ridden, rebellious, foul-mouthed, drinking and smoking, school-flunking teen.

I was fascinated.

In honor of J.D. Salinger and of course, my mother, I think I will have to dig out my copy, curl up on the sofa, and spend some time with Mr. Caulfield once again.

1 comment:

Abby Runyan said...

Sad to say I've never read it. I need to put it on my list.